2016 was a wedding onslaught and this site was not updated nearly enough. Going to set the calendar reminders to post Mondays during lunch time for this summer. To get up to speed, so far this year have had 4 weekends out at boat yard. One to mostly survey and clean the hull (esp the water line) with Muriatic acid. And then one big day of angle grinding the keel down to the metal again. (Huge thanks to Joe for helping that day). Then a few rainy weekends so wasn’t going to paint those days. And then a trip out a few weeks later, where used acid to remove rust accumulation. Rinsed. Let it dry. Then applied a lot of Star Brite Rust Eater and Converter. Let that sit for 10 minutes and then went back and applied more and moved around with microfiber cloth to try and get any cracks, etc. Let that dry for 2 hours and then put on a coat of the HS High Solids Barrier coat. Stuff is awesome. Goes on thick. Put on a really thorough coat. And then headed home. Then this last weekend went back out early early and put on another HS barrier coat first thing in the morning. Let dry for 4 hours and taped off the lines and then went with the west marine standard blue anti fouling paint. And then after letting dry. The boat is in the water. Now the fun stuff can begin. This coming weekend we want to take out any wood not attached and sand and seal and put back. Also want to remove decayed wheel leather and thinking of going with thin cord neatly knotted over and over all the way around the wheel instead of foam and leather.
Easter Sunday we drove out to the boat yard in the morning. There was so little traffic. It was wonderful. The yard looked good. “The boats were on the stands” No surprises. We climbed up the ladder and opened up the Kirie. No water taken on. Great sign. Took stock of what needs to be done. (All the projects we didn’t get to last year)
Double checked Fuel & Oil Filter types, so we were able to order correct parts. Then the keel. We are going to have to buff it down and seal it, before we paint the bottom. The keel is rusting through the paint. Also on the list is the short columns and wood ribs that make up the corral around the battery and support the floor right by the companionway. We have some sanding of wood up top to do as well. And then my least favorite task is to take the rudder off and glass in the leading edge. The epoxy didn’t hold. The back and forth of steering must have worn if off during the season.
Then off to Montauk to walk around the point and back to the Montauk Harbor for a solid lunch at Sammys capped off with an oreo inside a chocolate chip cookie.
One of our neighbors getting hauled out for winter.